Sunday 28 August 2011

25: Meal!

Today I cooked a meal in Middle Eastern style as another challenge, I think Amy suggested this, a new style from somewhere I've never been. I usually cook things I'm familiar with, and rarely follow a recipe apart from getting general ideas. I took the recipes from Claudia Roden's 'Middle Eastern food"
 We started with what she described as Moroccan 'boiled carrot salad', not a good description for carrots puréed in cumin, paprika, chilli powder, garlic, ginger,olive-oil & vinegar, with strips of pitta. It all went.
We then had chakchouka,basically eggs poached in a mixture of onions, peppers, tomatoes, aubergine and courgettes with potatoes simmered in tomato with onion, whole garlic cloves and chickpeas.
Pudding was sholezard, a very sweet saffron rice with almonds and cinnamon, it would have gone down better if we hadn't eaten so much before.
The carrot & main courses are worth repeating, not sure about the pud!

1 comment:

  1. i would definately eat the starter and main course again! :D
    sadly the pudding smelled like play dough and confused my taste buds!

    ReplyDelete