Tuesday 16 August 2011

Namibia. 20:Oyster 21:backpacking 22:60Afrikaans words

Careful watchers may have noticed a slight pause in posts, not total laziness, we have been in Namibia for 3 weeks, L&A filled in with posts I did in advance. Namibia is a wonderful place of contrasting landscapes, I'd love to go again just after the rainy season and see the full botanical glory. I will post some more pictures when they're sorted, all 2557 of them. How I love my digital camera!
When I was about 6 my father had a bad oyster and was ill for days, I've never dared try them until "The Lighthouse" in Swakopmund offered a special salad. The beast was not alive & wriggling fortunately, and was delicious
They also offered this rather decadent burger-variant
In spite of all the trekking and camping we've done, I've never done "proper" backpacking, carrying food & stuff until we did Fish River Canyon. We slept under the stars, but carried food, sleeping bags & all necessities. An experience to be repeated if the weather's equally dependable.
Finally, I tried to learn some Afrikaans words, just about got to 60, good ones included spruit: a usually-dry stream-bed, sounds like a cross between a spring & a conduit, tackies: trainers, no idea why, drankwinkel: a drink shop & bobalas: a hangover. I hope to remember them for our next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment